British Chess Clubs
If your chess club is not listed here then please send the details to me and I will include it on this page.
If you are looking for a club and a convenient one is not listed here contact:
British Chess Federation
Tel: 01424 775222
If you are looking for details of future tournaments across
the UK check out
British Chess Tournament Calendar
Avon | Birmingham | Buckinghamshire | Cambridgeshire | Cheshire | Cumbria | Devon | Essex | Hampshire | Hertfordshire | Humberside | Lancashire | London | Greater Manchester | Merseyside | Northamptonshire | Nottinghamshire | Scotland | Shropshire | Surrey | Tyne and Wear | Yorkshire | Wales | Warwickshire | West Midlands | West Sussex | Wiltshire | Other
Bath: Bath University
Bristol: For information about chess clubs in and around Bristol see Directory of Bristol League Clubs
Birmingham: Birmingham University Chess Club
Chelmsley: More details at their website
For clubs in and around Birmingham see http://users.powernet.co.uk/rees/bdcl_clubs.html
Buckingham: Buckingham Chess Centre, Well Street Church, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire. We meet every Monday from 5.30 - 7.30. This club is for Juniors aged 6 - 11. For further details contact Marianne Amery, phone 01280 814932; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at: http://website.lineone.net/~amery/chessf/htm
Linton: Linton Chess club is a small but vigorous village club running teams in the Bury (St.Edmunds) Chess league. The club meets at 7.30 pm on Tuesdays in Linton Church Pavilion. New members are welcome whatever their strength. Enquiries to Jim Carr Tel 01223 891855 or Phillip Cheek email@example.com
Kendal: We meet Thursday evenings 7:00 at Stricklandgate Methodist Church rooms (September - April). Contact Dave Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ulverston: Our club meets on Wednesdays 7.30pm at the Ulverston Library. For further information call 01229 464660. A junior club also meets at 4 to 5pm.
Altrincham & Hale:Tuesday 7.30-10.30, A.S.E. Club, High Bank, off Dunham Rd., Altrincham. Contact: Richard White, 12 Crescent Rd., Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire WA15 9NA (tel. 0161 928 9636)
Marple: Marple Chess Club (Stockport)
Rhyl: Rhyl chess club meets on Tuesdays from 7:30pm at the RAFA Club, Windsor Street, Rhyl, Denbighshire. Further details are available fron the Secretary on 01745 - 351514.
Wilmslow: More details at their website.
Brixham: Meets Tuesday evenings between 7.00pm and 10.00pm at The Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen, Overgang, Brixham, Devon. (It's just 50 yards up the hill from the Harbour.) It's a small club (around 12 members) but very welcoming and friendly. Call in for a 'non-threatening' game over a cup of coffee. Club secretary: Mike Cuggy email@example.com
Exeter: ISCA Junior Chess Club, John Stocker Middle School, Buddle Lane, Exeter. This is a chess club for Juniors. Contact Dave Scott (01392) 437968 for further details.
Plymouth: Plymouth Chess Club, Room 214, The Babbage Building, The University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon. For further details contact the Secretary: Mr Tony Tatam (01752) 300620
Southampton: Southampton Chess League
Portsmouth: Portsmouth Chess Club, Froddington Arms, 55 Fratton Road, Portsmouth. Meets every Wednesday at 7:30pm. More information at their website.
- Barnet: Harold Fern Room, W.R.V.S. Centre, Salisbury Road, Barnet - Monday 7.30 pm. See the Barnet Chess Club Website for further information.
Borehamwood: Borehamwood Community Centre, Allum Lane, Elstree, Hertfordshire - Tuesday evenings. See the Borehamwood Chess Site or contact the President, Anthony Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- St Albans Chess Club
Hull: Hull & District Chess Association The site contains all information about the clubs spanning Hull and East Yorkshire, and information regarding the leagues, cups and any forthcoming tournaments.
Hull: Hull Chess Club meets Mon, Weds, Fri. at YPI, George Street, Hull 7.00 pm. Contact John Lawson, 01482 - 353494 for more information.
Hull: ST ANDREWS CHESS CLUB meets Tues,Thurs at New Walton Club, Walton Street, Hull at 7.00pm Just drop in any of the specified evenings without charge or obligation or ring John Lawson, 01482 - 353494 for more information.
- Atherton: Meets on Mondays at Atherton Arms, 6 Tyldesley Road, Atherton, Manchester, M46 9DD. Find out more at their website.
- Bolton: Monday 7.30-10.40, YMCA, Deansgate, Bolton. Contact: Graham Ash, 6 Raven's Holly, Bolton BL1 5TN (tel. 01204 841 516).
Bury: Tuesday 7.30-10.45, Bury Sports Club, Radcliffe Rd., Bury. Contact: John Grindrod, 4 Blackley Close, Unsworth, Bury (tel. 0161 280 5102).
- Chorley: St James Bowling Club, Eaves Lane, Chorley, Lancs. Meets on Tuesday.
"We are always on the lookout for new players of any strength. Chorley Chess Club is a particularly friendly chess club. Please contact me for further details." - Andy Harrison at email@example.com
Great Lever: Thursday 7.30-10.50, Bolton Anglers' Club Nightingale Walk off Rishton Lane, Bolton. Contact: Tony Wilkinson, 77 Tong Rd., Little Lever, Bolton BL3 1QG (tel. 01204 417 184).
Heywood: Tuesday 7.30-11.00, Freemason's Arms, Market Place, Heywood. Contact: Chris Murray, 25 School Grove, Prestwich, Manchester M25 8RJ (tel. 0161 773 6294).
Oldham: Monday & Thursday 7.30-10.10 Room D2, First Floor, Community Centre, School of Art Building, Union St., Oldham. Contact: Mike Abbott, 9 Penrhyn Ave., Middleton, Manchester M24 1FP (tel. 0161 643 6706).
- Ormskirk: The Comrades Club, County Road, Ormskirk, Lancs.
Contact the secretary, Paul Chambers on 01257-462306 or by e-mail
Rochdale: Monday 7.30-11.00, Hungarian Social Club, Milnrow Rd., Rochdale. Contact: Ben Hague, 17 Sarah Butterworth Court, Rochdale (tel. 01706 355 116).
- Southport: Southport Chess Club
- Three C's: Thursday 7.00-10.00 (school term nights only), Christ Church Junior School, Crawley Way, Chadderton, Oldham. Contact: Stephen Rigby, Christ Church Junior School, Crawley Way, Chadderton, Oldham [tel 01457 878 535 (school terms only)]. More information at their website.
London and Middlesex
- EC2: METROPOLITAN CHESS CLUB ( FOUNDED IN 1892). We meet at the Bishopsgate
Institute, 230 Bishopsgate, London EC2 every Tuesday and Thursday from 6.30
p.m. to 9.45 p.m. throughout the year. We welcome all newcomers of all grades.
We run three teams in the London League and four teams in the Middlesex League.
We also run internal club tournaments in the winter and summer, and have
held a congress in October every year since 1992. Further details can be
obtained from the following:-
Tom Deery on 0181 656 8285 (before 9.p.m.)
Ray Hamilton on 0171 378 4606 weekdays only - 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NW7: Barnet Knights, Mill Hill East Church, Salcombe Gardens, London NW7 (Tuesday) - A club for children
- NW11: Golders Green Parish Church Hall, West Heath Drive, Golders Green NW11 (Thursday)
- London Deaf Chess Club: This is the chess club for deaf/hard-of-hearing people. We are situated near Victoria station and usually meet on Friday evenings during the chess season. For further details please contact the London Deaf Chess Club Secretary, Alasdair MacLeod Fax/Minicom: 0208 659 9903 E-mail: email@example.com
- The Kings Head - This is one of the largest in London with over 100 players ranging from beginners to titled.
- Edmonton: Edmonton Chess Club meets on Tuesday's from 7.30 pm at the Angel Community Centre, Raynham Road, Edmonton, London N18. We have 4 teams in the Middlesex League and 2 teams in the North Circular League. New members and visitors are always welcome. Further details can be obtained from the Secretary, John Capes, on 0181 366 4064.
- Willesden and Brent Chess Club - Meet on Mondays, from September to the following June, inclusive, from 7.15 p.m. to 10.15 p.m. The Junior tuition class is from 6.00p.m. to 7.15 on the same evenings. Venue is in the Jack Clark Room, The Scout House, Willesden High Road, NW10. More details at their website.
- Chorlton:Tuesday 7.30-10.45, St. Jonh's Social Club, Chequers Rd. off High Lane, Chorlton. Contact: John Horner, 29 Lime Rd., Stretford, Manchester M32 8HX (tel. 0161 286 7128) More information at their website.
- Droylsden: Tuesday 7.30-11.00, The New Inn, Greenside Lane, Fiveways, Droylsden. Contact: Victor Rushworth, 51 Wakeling Rd., Denton, Manchester M34 6FR (tel. 0161 336 6972).
- Eccles: Wednesday 7.30-10.30, Monton Bowling Club, Hawthorne Ave., Monton, Eccles. Contact: Des Perryman, 18 Rutland Rd., Eccles, Manchester M30 9FA (tel. 0161 788 9240).
- People's Chess Club: Monday & Tuesday 7.30-11.20, White Swan Pub, Green St., Ladybarn, Manchester. Contact: Melih Kancelik, 4 Chatham Court, Withington, Manchester M20 1HR (tel. 0161 374 1903).
- Salford University - We play at Salford University, and have 2 teams in the Manchester and District Chess Association League. We also have one team playing in the Bolton league. Club night is Tuesday from 7.30 pm. For further details contact Anthony@asc81272.demon.co.uk
- Swinton: Thursday 7.30-11.00, Swinton & Pendlebury Labour Club, Station Rd., Swinton. Three teams play all year round, competing in the Manchester League, the South East Lancashire Summer Chess League and the Bolton League. Membership spans wide ranges of both age and playing strength. New members and visitors, including juniors are welcome. Contact: Andrew Wilson, 33 Tennyson Rd., Swinton, Manchester M27 3PY (tel. 0161 281 1099) or Ian Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org). More information at their website.
- University of Manchester: Tuesday 7.30-10.45, Student Union Building, University Campus, Oxford Rd., Manchester Contact: James Carlisle, 24 Loweswater Ave., Tyldesley, Manchester M29 More information at their website.
- Urmston: Monday 7.30-11.00, Shaw Hall Community Centre, Church Rd., Flixton Contact: Joe Royle, 8 Grasmere Ave., Flixton, Manchester M31 3PL (tel. 0161 747 8493).
- Formby:FORMBY Ravenmeols Community Centre, Park Road, Formby, Merseyside L37 3 teams Secretary M. D. Barrett Tel. 01704 - 877854 Club night Thursday
- Liverpool: ATTICUS: Flying Picket, Trade Union Resource Centre, Hardman Street, Liverpool 5 teams Secretary Jim Wiseman Tel. 0151 - 734 1050 Club night Monday
- Liverpool: CABBAGE HALL Cabbage Hall Public House, Breck Road, Anfield, Liverpool 5 1 team Secretary Larry Moore Tel. 0151 - 286 7637 Club night Tuesday
- Liverpool: GREENBANK Greenbank, Greenbank Lane, Liverpool, L17 1AG 1 team Secretary G. McGowen Tel. 0151 - 281 3473 Club night Wednesday
- Liverpool: HUNTS CROSS Hunts Cross Hotel, Hillfoot Avenue, Liverpool L25 4 teams Secretary J. Reck Tel. 0151 - 428 3245 Club night Wednesday
- Liverpool: LITTLEWOODS The Sir John Moores Building, 100, Old Hall Street, Liverpool 3 1 team Secretary P. Steeples Tel. 0151 - 625 5149 Club night Wednesday
- Liverpool: The Liverpool Marina & Harbourside Club, Coburg Wharf, Sefton Street, Liverpool, L3 4BP 2 teams Secretary D. Leeming Tel. 0151 - 334 9884 Club night Thursday
- Liverpool: NORTH WEST CHESS (Previously EEC) Royal British Legion, Longmoor Lane, Fazakerly, Liverpool 10 4 teams Secretary H. J. Currie Tel. 0151 - 526 8973 Club night Thursday
- Liverpool: PRESCOT & KNOTTY ASH Knotty Ash Community Centre, East Prescot Road, Liverpool 14 4 teams Secretary Joe Ormrod Tel. 0151 - 285 0692 Club nights Tuesday and Thursday
- Liverpool: RED STAR LIPA Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, Mount Street, Liverpool 8 1 team Secretary George Spence Tel. 0151 - 427 4397 Club night Monday
- Liverpool: ROYAL & SUN ALLIANCE New Hall Place, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L69 3EN 1 team Secretary John Davis Tel. 0151 - 632 1567 Club night Monday
- Southport: Meets every Monday at the Rookery Sports & Social Club, Roe Lane, Southport. Further details at the Southport Chess Club website.
- Wallasey: New Brighton Cricket Club, Mortuary Lane, Liscard, Merseyside - Monday and Thursday. Contact Stefan Mcloughlin for further details.
- Waterloo: Victoria Hotel, Great Georges Road, Waterloo, Merseyside 3 teams Secretary Albie Charles Tel. 0151 - 474 6122 Club nights Tuesday and Thursday
- West Kirby: Black Horse Pub, Black Horse Hill, West Kirby. Club Night Tuesday. Visit their website for more details.
- Whiston: HUYTON The Labour Club, Windyharbour Road, Whiston, Merseyside 1 team Secretary S. Patten Tel. 0151 - 443 0509 Club night Wednesday
- Wirral: HOYLAKE Black Horse Public House, Black Horse Hill, West Kirby, Wirral L48 2 teams Secretary R. D. Picken Tel. 0151 - 678 5863 Club night Tuesday
- Corby: More details at their website.
- Northampton: The Polish Club, Dom Polski, Craven Street, Northampton NN1 3EZ. The club meets on Wednesday evening from 7.30 pm. Contact the Chairman, Alan Brown (01604 648287), the Secretary, Ben Pourmozafari (0780 852 7274) or see their website at www.northants61.freeserve.co.uk for more information.
- Nottingham: Nomads Chess Club, Sherwood Community Centre, Mansfield Road, Sherwood, Nottingham meets on Mondays from 7.15 - 10.00 pm. It has four teams in the Notts league.
- Stapleford: The Salvation Army Church, Albert Avenue, Stapleford, Nottingham.The club night is every Monday from 7.15pm to 10.00pm except Bank Holidays. Interested players can contact Mike Herbert on 01159 253807. We have Five teams in the Nottinghamshire League and are especially good with junior players.
- Aberdeen: Aberdeen University Chess Club, Student Union, Gallowgate, every Tuesday from 7pm to 11pm. All players welcome! Contact David W. Fowler email@example.com. See Aberdenn University Chess Club website for more information.
- Coatbridge: Knightmoves Chess Club, Alexander Resource Center, Blair Road, Coatbridge. Further information from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edinburgh University: See Edinburgh University Chess Club for more information.
- Edinburgh: 1 Alva Street, Edinburgh. Contact email@example.com. See Edinburgh Chess Club for more information.
- Livingston: Club meets on Wednesdays 7pm - 10pm at The Lanthorn Community Centre, Kenilworth Rise, Dedridge, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 6JJ. Visit their website for further information.
- All areas: For information about chess clubs in Scotland see Scottish Chess Association
- Oswestry: Oswestry Chess Club meets almost every Monday evening at 7.30pm at Oswestry FC Social Club Gobowen Rd Oswestry. More details from their website at www.xvans.freeserve.co.uk.
- Shropshire Chess Association - Details of clubs in Shropshire.
- Guildford: Guildford Institute, Ward Street, Guildford, Surrey, UK. - Monday 7-00pm to 10-30pm. See Guildford Chess Club for more information. Contact Steve Coope at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mitcham: Mitcham Chess Club
- Richmond: A Junior Chess Club. More details at their website.
- Newcastle: Newcastle
Chess Club Marlbrough Social Club, Marlbrough Crescent, Newcastle Upon
- Barnsley: Shaw Lane Cricket and Rugby Club, Shaw Lane, Barnsley, South Yorkshire - Wednesday 7.30pm (We have a total of seven competitive teams in local leagues and 35 active players within the club).
- Harrogate: Convent of the Holy Child, off Oatlands Drive, Harrogate - Monday 7pm. More details can be found at Harrogate Chess Club
- Leeds: Club meets at Leeds Centre for the Deaf, Centenary House, North Street, Leeds on Wednesdays from 7 p.m. More details at their website.
- Sheffield: Sheffield Chess Congress
- Bridgend: Bridgend Chess Club meet every Thursday evening from 7:15pm - 11:10pm, at:The 'Waterton Room', South Wales Police Social Club, Waterton, Bridgend, South Wales. Further details can be found at their website.
- Gwent: Gwent Chess Association
- Newport: Chess Club meets on Wednesday at 7 p.m. For more information contact the Gwent Chess Association and ask for Robert Taylor's phone no for more info. Juniors are especially welcome.
- Rhyl: Rhyl chess club meets on Tuesdays from 7:30pm at the RAFA Club, Windsor Street, Rhyl, Denbighshire. Further details are available fron the Secretary on 01745 - 351514.
- Horsham: Methodist Church in London Road, Horsham, West Sussex. Club nights are from 7.30 pm every Tuesdays (except Summer).
- Swindon: Thamesdown Junior Chess Club , Commonweal School, Old Town, Swindon
- UK Web Chess Guide The biggest collection of links to UK Chess websites.
Please note, while every endeavour is made to ensure that the information included here is accurate, we recommend that you contact the organisation concerned to confirm details.
To include your club on this page send
(Sorry, because of all the spam I get and all the viruses flying around I have removed my address for the moment. If you need to contact me send me a PM in the forum. Thank you)
Put Chess Club Details in the subject line, please.
Thank you to Ian Thompson for the information about the Greater Manchester Clubs.
The content on this site may not be reproduced in any form
without the written permission of Chess Corner